Number seventeen on the Campus Safari list was to participate in community service, so I did the Day of Service on Saturday, September 17th. Since I registered as an individual, I joined Chase Hall and cleaned up some of the streets in New Haven. My friends and I took some gloves and garbage bags and began by picking up garbage along the sidewalks and sides of the streets. We found beer bottles, cigarette cartons, juice boxes; you name it, we found it. After cleaning up garbage, we started sweeping up leaves just to make the street a little more presentable.
While my friend and I were sweeping, a man came up to us and asked us what organization we were with. We told him we were with Southern Connecticut State University and that we do service projects like these all throughout the year and his face lit up. He told us how happy he was that we were doing this and how nice it was that we took the time to go down there and help out. That man coming up to us made my day because it made what I was doing worthwhile and made me realize that people actually appreciate what we did.
No comments:
Post a Comment