Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Am I a College Kid Yet?

College. Before I moved in, it's all anyone talked about since the beginning of my junior year of high school. Where are you applying? Did you get in? What do you want to major in? What classes are you taking? To be honest, I was getting sick of college before I even got there. I've heard heaps of conceptions (and misconceptions) about college within than time. The food's going to suck, don't room with your friends from high school, buy rain boots, don't go do your laundry alone, to name a few. But all kidding aside, college is supposed to be the best time of your life. You meet new people, experience new places, pick what you want to learn about and what you don't; it's cracked up to be the most wonderful four years you'll ever live.
There's a lot to accomplish here; and the best part is that you can choose what you want those accomplishments to be. If you want to major in Photography, you can. If you want to be the state champion for pole-vaulting, you can. If you really want to study Microbiology and become a scientist, you can do that if you so please. There are so many more opportunities at college than at high school. In high school, you’re told what classes to take, how long you stay in school daily, etc. Here, you have the freedom to do, and not do, whatever you wish. You can be one of those kids that shacks up in their rooms all day and leaves just to go to classes and eat, or you could get involved. There are sororities and fraternities, language clubs, bands and choirs, you’re up to your knees in different organizations and associations, the possibilities are nearly limitless. There's places to go, people to see, and of course, classes to go to. I can honestly say that I'm happy with the classes that got chosen for me, but I'll be even more-so next semester when I can pick and choose what I'm interested in.
Being only a freshman, I have an endless amount of goals and dreams to aspire to. Some for the future, but some for the present as well. Some are as simple as doing well in my classes, and others are as complex as getting involved with Delta Pi Epsilon. Since I've only been in classes for a week or so, I haven't really gotten a feel for most of them yet. I was expecting insanely difficult material and that I was going to be up to my shoulders in it. So far, I'm pleased to say (knock on wood) that my classes aren't as challenging as I'd expected. Truthfully, SCSU was my last choice. It was a settlement because I wasn't able to afford my top school, Marist College. During orientation, our OA's told us that they love SCSU and now they couldn't imagine themselves going anywhere else. And I'm starting to feel the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment